Friday, September 28, 2007

I was asked...

I was asked to decsribe how it felt to have the Aaronic Priesthood given to me and what it felt like to bless the Sacrament, so here is my story:

I was born in Portland Oregon on August *, 1971 to goodly parents (ok, so they may not have been goodly, but they were mine...lol). I guess I should probably skip ahead...

After the big weekend I felt as though as I was walking around, my feet NEVER touched the ground. It felt so overwhelming to have all my past indiscretions forgiven and wiped clean. I was on the verge of breaking down in tears several times, in absolute wonder of heavenly fathers love for me, my family, and all of us as a Church.

I know pride is one of the deadly sins, but I was (and still am) so proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. It is still hard to say that out loud.

Paul (our family friens and new Ward Bishop) called me on Sunday and asked me to set up a time to meet with him to talk about the Priesthood in the following week. I met with him on Wednesday and went through the interview. He was asking me what the Priesthood meant to me, and I fear I may have disappointed him. I know we had talked about it in the past but I had received so much information in such a short time, and pondered and prayed about baptism so long I lost sight of "the next step" in the progression of a member in the Church. Paul was so understanding of that and he explained what was to happen next if I accepted the Aaronic Priesthood. I must tell you that at that point I was so honored, humbled, and again overwhelmed with the spirit, that I told him that I was in this Church for the long haul and would do WHATEVER Heavenly Father asked, with out question. When the time finally came up on that Sunday during Priesthood meeting and Paul, Grant (Paul's son), and Dirk laid their hands on my head I felt as if Christ himself were talking to me. I had to fight the tears away (cause you know I really am a "tough" guy, and "tough guys" don't do that). It is so clear to me that this is truly Jesus Church, that we have a modern day Prophet, and that he receives divine counsel from our Heavenly Father. Tonya, Holly, and the Sister Missionaries were there as well.

After Church was over Paul told me that Grant and another feller go to this invalid ladies home and administer Sacrament to her every Sunday after Church and if I wanted to I could go with Grant to do it. I immediately said I would be honored to do so and took Grant over to her house.
On the way over Grant leaned over to me and asked "are you nervous”??? And I tell you without any doubt I said to him "Nervous, why would I be nervous?? I am doing the Lords work, what have I to be nervous about???" Grant said "good answer" we kinda got a laugh after that.

Well as if this story needs to be any longer (you asked for it...lol) we went up to meet Ms. English. She was a very sweet lady. Grant told me that we had to read the words verbatim, and that he would tap me on the shoulder if I missed a word. And you just know I did. But was able to do it right the next time. I can't describe the feeling of blessing something that came straight from Heavenly Father.

I know this is longer than you were perhaps wanting to read, but how can you stop writing about the blessing that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ bestow on you. To do so would be an injustice to all considered. I hope this answers your question.

3 comments:

Tonya said...

Thank you for your sweet thoughts honey. Like I haven't cried enough today *sniff sniff* I am so blessed. Love you!!

Laine said...

You are on fire! It is inspiring.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That was so inspiring Tim! It's so wonderful to hear the feelings of recent convert. It reminds me not to be complacent in my testimony and to keep "feasting on the word." Thank you!